How much an app cost
Everyone is interested in mobile apps. Users neglect web pages and concentrate on the universe in their cell phones, making it one of the most popular and fast-growing markets in the world. Moreover, every day new companies try to enter the market with more and more apps. The demand determines the supply, so there are thousands of companies and freelance developers, who are ready to offer various conditions and prices to satisfy the client’s needs.
However, it is not that easy to choose a developer or an agency, which will correspond with your demands. First you need to have a clear vision of how your app will work, what features it will have and, most importantly, what will your budget be. According to all these factors it will be much easier to limit the search circle.
The price of an app can depend on many factors:
- Platform and complexity, which greatly contribute to the speed and capacity of the app;
- Choice of a back-end server. It usually costs, but the benefits are beyond any doubt;
- Executor. The price will be much higher if the app will be completed by a professional agency. You can reduce costs by working with a freelance developer;
- Additional features you want to include.
Taking into account the fact that for most of the clients the app development cost is a decisive factor, we will try to give all necessary information on how it is formed, how you can save money and where to find a trustworthy company.
What is the average cost of developing an app?
According to a VDC survey, an average price is $140, 000, while according to Kinvey - $270, 000. There is also a chance to use a cost calculator of various companies, which show an average price ranging from $270, 000 to $ 360, 000. Moreover, a vast majority of companies is ready to spend up millions for a quality app.
For example, a freelance market is not controlled and you can find a developer or designer on one of many work websites. They will be ready to reduce the price offered by competitors just to grab an order. Such order can remind a roulette, where you can’t be sure in the outcome. But you will be able to save a lot of money and use it on additional services or marketing.
Roughly speaking, you can divide the price into three categories :
- Big companies with a minimum price of $500,000. They won’t even spend five minutes of their time if you don’t have a solid budget and an ability to spend more ;
- Agencies, whose prices can start at $150,000 and reach $450,000;
- Individuals or small companies, whose prices can start at $50,000. Experience shows that lower price will more likely lead you to a low quality company, which will provide you with a mediocre app.
It is evident that the market of app development is spontaneous and every user can choose a company or individual according to personal preferences, wallet and tastes. But don’t forget that very often miser pays twice and there is no guarantee that your app will be completed in the best possible way if you choose an offshore developer. An average duration of completing an app is 12-20 weeks but, again, it greatly depends on the complexity and the services you want to include.
Factors to take into account
When choosing a company to work with, you should always pay attention to the key factors, which will help you estimate the possible price of your app and you will be able to choose a company, which will be ready to offer you qualitative services according to your budget.
1. Quality, price and speed. It is obvious that these three features are cornerstones of any task and greatly contribute to the overall price of the project. However, you can’t have all of them, so you should decide which two features you are going to choose. For example, if you decide that you are not ready to sacrifice quality, you can choose a quick and costly company or rely the project to a freelancer, who will complete the project for a longer period of time but with lower costs.
2. Offshore specialists or an in-house company. This is probably one of the core features, which will influence the final price and you need to make sure that you know the difference. While working with an offshore company, you will be able to save time, but the duration of the project will be prolonged and it will be more difficult to control everything. At the same time, in-house companies have more benefits, like speed and quality. You can ask the company at once to be sure that you are working with in-house developers if it is an important aspect for you.
3. Waterfall or agile development. These two methods are opposite and reflect the documentation process during the project implementation. While waterfall development relies on all sorts of instructions, papers, wireframes and so on agile development is free of any papers and concentrates on the process itself. Usually agile development is quicker, although something might go wrong if there is no plan. Also the price can grow if you don’t calculate all the features in advance. There is also a hybrid development, when limited documentation is present, but it doesn’t influence the duration of the project.
4. Fixed-free or floating cost. Some of the companies offer fixed prices in the beginning of the project. On one hand, it can be a plus, because you can shape your budget. But at the same time you won’t have a chance to order additional features. If you are offered a fixed hourly rate, make sure they have a time tracking software and you will be able to have access to it. Most of the companies select agile pricing system, when the final cost depends on the materials and resources spent.
5. Estimation. Every client wants to be sure that his project was estimated fairly that is why you need to be sure that the price and timing is correct. Choose a company with experience in your field and you won’t have to worry. Although be sure that usually the final price is 20% over budget.
Taking into account these factors will help you select a company according to personal preferences and budget. Remember that choosing a cheap price may lead to low-quality app and you won’t be able to occupy the market the way you planned.
Where to find developers
You already know everything about the average app cost and how it is shaped, so now it’s time to think of a company to turn to. There are many ways of choosing a company or an offshore agency, so you should be really attentive not to be fooled. The easiest and the most reliable way is to use recommendations or online reviews. You can read testimonials, watch demos and ask for work samples in order to decide whether the company is a right fit for you. Luckily, every development enterprise has a website, so you can collect all the information without leaving your home!
Another option is to surf various platforms, where freelancers post their resumes and customers place their orders. In such a way you will be able to read developer’s CV, get information on his experience, contact previous customers and so on. You will also have a chance to choose a bid and make a sort of an interview with various employees before making up your mind. This is a time-consuming process but can reduce the cost of the project.
It is impossible to say that professional companies are better than offshore agencies, because every customer selects an option according to personal preferences and budget. But one thing is clear: if you want to have a unique, top-notch app, which will work on various platforms, withstand traffic and will be protected, it is better to contact an in-house company, which will take care about everything. They take responsibility for every stage of the process and you won’t have to worry about anything.